[Kde-games-devel] KsirK and Jabber

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Mon Sep 15 22:04:01 CEST 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 01:52:38 Richard Hartmann wrote:
Hello,

> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 09:43, Kleag <kleag at free.fr> wrote:
> > Also, I wonder if I should keep the possibility to do TCP/IP games ? I
> > suppose it could be useful for local network games. But will it be used ?
>
> To ask the other way round: What is the benefit of using Jabber as in
> intermediate layer? For chatting, Jabber is fine, but for actually
> playing a game
> over it?
I see 4 benefits:
- no proxy/firewall change: as soon as you have a working Jabber, you can have
games running on your machine or connect to any other running game without
changing your network configuration ;
- very few changes in architecture : using classes gathered from kopete and
the libkdegames/kgame lib, it was very easy to implement ;
- chatroom infrastructure : you inherit from the Jabber chatrooms. It is
really easy to create a chatroom and it is also easy to connect to other
chatrooms to find running games. Also, you can use the very same room to
discuss with other human players about the future games.
- P2P and standardized naming: as soon as you are connected to the Jabber
network, you can connect to any chatroom you know (and are authorized to
reach). In the future, ksirk rooms and games should also be able to tell their
presence to the rest of the world, reducing the need to know a precise
chatroom name.

> Also, if you abstract the function calls, you can transparently use TCP/IP
> or Jabber without much work.
I don't understand what you mean, here. It's already the case, by subclassing
KMessageIO from kgame. Is there another kind of abstraction I don't see ?

Gaël
--
KsirK - a world domination strategy game
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Tactic_and_Strategy/KsirK

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer