[Kde-games-devel] Jabber KsirK

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Fri Sep 5 00:40:12 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm sorry: I forgot the meeting on monday. In fact, I was deep in Jabber
documentation and first coding... But, that was useful as I now have in
branches/work/ksirk.jabber a first working version of ksirk adapted to use
Jabber to propose/find network games. To be able to compile it, you have to
apply in ksirk/ksirk/libiris after checkout the patch file which is in
ksirk/ksirk.

This draft uses a 'natural language' protocol to indicate/read in a standard
MUC room what are the running games and where to connect to them. To
summarize, a client wanting to find a waiting game sends the message "Who
propose online KsirK games here?" to the chatroom. On receiving it, each
waiting game sends to the room: "I'm starting a game with skin 'skins/default'
and '1' network players on '<IP or hostname>', port 'XYZT'". The client
displays all this data plus the nickname in a table allowing the user to
select one of them and then connect as before.

If you want to try, you will have to chose the "Game-> Connect to a Jabber..."
menu entry and fill the fields (except password which is not connected
currently) with your jid and password, the jid of the room and the nickname
you want to use. I created the room "ksirk at conference.kdetalk.net" for my
tests. You can use it if you wish.

I'll now start to work on a full integration which will also transfer the game
data through Jabber. This will use maybe a Multi User Games XEP draft or the
telepathy framework. I'm not sure for the moment.

See you soon (probably not this WE, since I leave tomorrow for a wedding, but
I should be able to read my mails)

Bye.

Gaël
--
KsirK - a world domination strategy game
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Tactic_and_Strategy/KsirK

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer