[Kde-games-devel] missing category games/logic + inconsistencies

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 27 01:29:10 CET 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:30:32 am Burkhard Lück wrote:
> There are some inconsistencies in the games categories between the web site
> and khelpcenter/kmenu, see attached list.

I must say, I have trouble with the K-Menu categories and always have,
but I guess we are stuck with them because they apply outside KDE.
My problem is understanding what they really mean and, more
importantly, finding a game in the menu when I feel like playing it.

If we had Chess, for example, would it be a Board game, or T&S or
even Logic?  And by what stretch of the imagination is KMahjongg a
Board game?  Surely it should be a Logic game ...

I presume the distinction between Logic and T&S is that Logic is for
one player (puzzle-solver) and T&S is for two or more players, which
can be human or machine.

If so, maybe KMines, KNetwalk, KAtomic and KSame should be on
the Logic lists.

There is also scope here for double or even triple categorization,
since we have categories that overlap somewhat.  So then a game
could be found on more than one menu, etc., making life easier
for end-users.  Does K-Menu allow that?

For example, Bovo, KBattleship, KBlackbox, KFourinline, KMahjongg,
KShisen and KSquares could be both Board and something else
(T&S or Logic).

Just some ideas for discussion, Ian W.