[Kde-games-devel] Change in Default Behaviour of KGamePopupItem

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 00:08:13 CET 2008

Back in April, two new functions were added to the KGamePopupItem API:
setHideOnMouseClick(bool) and hidesOnMouseClick(). Unfortunately, when
that change was made, the default behaviour was unintentionally
changed to NOT hide on mouse click while the API documentation claimed
the default was still to hide on mouse click.

After some discussion we (Dmitry and I) decided to revert to the
original default behaviour. Unfortunately, this might now cause some
minor breakage for those applications that use the class but do not
explicitly request either behaviour. (For example, in KDiamond you can
currently click on the "game paused" popup to hide it, which I doubt
is the intended behaviour.)

So, if your game uses KGamePopupItem [1] choose one of the following options:

1. If it's important to you that that the user be able to hide the
popup by clicking on it, add an explicit call to
setHideOnMouseClick(true).

2. If it's important to you that that the user NOT be able to hide the
popup by clicking on it, add an explicit call to
setHideOnMouseClick(false).

3. If you couldn't care either way and are happy to use the
libkdegames default, don't bother calling setHideOnMouseClick().

If you know which option you want, but don't have time (or can't be
bothered) to make this change, just let me know and I'll do it for
you.

Thanks,

Parker

[1] Games currently using KGamePopupItem:
KAtomic
KBlackBox
KDiamond
Killbots