[Kde-games-devel] README.PACKAGERS

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Nov 24 11:41:35 CET 2008

Parker Coates wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 20:17, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
>> These are only *suggestions* to packagers anyway, the main idea is not
>> to artificially limit the amount of games we accept in the kdegames
>> directory in order to please minimalistic distros.
>
> Do we really think these suggestions will make any difference? I mean
> if I had my own distro, I would certainly package all of KDEGames, but
> when it came to picking the games installed by default I'd include
> KPat, KMines and a personal favourite or two. I don't think the
> module's suggestions would have any real weight.

Well, it would not hurt, would it? Distros are of course free to package
what they want, but during the discussion at Akademy we had the
impression that some at least would follow the suggestions. If they do
not, it is not a problem.

> I think we have to consider ourselves as more of a collection of
> friendly games than a single package that you install to get "game"
> functionality. At our current size, it seems quite unlikely that any
> distro would install our entire module by default, so maybe we should
> be emphasising our pick-and-choose-ability.

That is the whole idea behind this initiative, really. We do not want to
limit the number of apps in the module, and the README.PACKAGERS hint
was one step towards this goal.

I think as well that a single README.PACKAGERS could work, but someone
mentioned that a top level file might not get noticed. As for the
categories, one idea was (IIRC) to have

Minimal (only depends on Qt/KDE libs)
Extended (more games, more dependancies)
Extra (or Advanced) - Big games, lots of artwork, OpenGL, etc

In this way we could potentially bring to the module other stable games
that are bigger in scope (Boson?), as well as encourage development of
them inside our community.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini