[Kde-games-devel] Kolf -> Playgroung

Kleag kleag at free.fr
Fri Nov 21 18:23:58 CET 2008

Le Friday 21 November 2008 13:15:33 Ian Wadham, vous avez écrit :
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 02:36:28 pm Eugene Trounev wrote:
> > This is all very good. Finally I got people's attention where it was
> > needed (on the long dead Kolf game), ...
>
> Yes, it *is* good, but rumours of the long-ago death of Kolf seem to have
> been greatly exaggerated ... :-)
>
> Wasn't Kolf released with KDE 4.0 and 4.1?
>
> > but this does not answer question - "Do we move it away, until it's
> > ready?"
>
> If it was "ready" for 4.0 and 4.1, what has changed in Kolf since KDE 4.1
> (August)?  The bug you mention below sounds pretty bad, but if Kolf was
> good enough for 4.0 and 4.1, why is it *not* good enough for KDE 4.2?
>
> > So, do we??? If we are (and this would be a right decision), then it's
> > better to do that now.
>
> I say no.
>
> Kolf should stay in trunk and get released and we should all bite the
> bullet and wear the consequences.
>
> The real issue IMHO is not how *we* feel about it, but whether we will be
> disappointing current players of Kolf with KDE 4.  There is nothing worse,
> if you enjoy a game very much, than to find it has mysteriously
> disappeared when you install a new version of KDE.  No game
> at all is worse than a game with bugs ... the show must go on ...
>
> Sometimes I wonder what the uptake of KDE 4 is, world-wide, at
> present and how many people (KDE 4 users) are able to enjoy the
> new and improved games we have produced for KDE 4?  Do we have
> any statistics on this?  If it is not very many people, the impact of
> keeping Kolf on, bugs and all, will not be great and Kolf for KDE 3 still
> works ...
>
> I just tried a round of the "Medium" course with both KDE 3 and KDE 4.
>
> The worst problems I found (in the KDE 4 version) were that round about
> hole 12 the holes started to get scrollbars, which made them *rather*
> difficult to play (e.g. you cannot see the hole from the starting
> position), and the putter became uncontrollable (i.e. it could not be
> pointed in the required direction).  And why doesn't the plan of the hole
> fill the available space in the window?  Surely these problems would be
> easy to fix?
I second Ian on all his arguments. Kolf is a game I play from time to time
(say 2 times a year, I'm not a hard gamer) and I ever enjoyed it despite its
bugs. I just played two complete courses (easy and impossible). Well, yes, I
hit a few of the reported problems but it was still pleasant to play.

Regards,

Gaël