[Kde-games-devel] Low framerate in Kdiamond

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun May 25 13:46:17 CEST 2008

On Sun, 25 May 2008 04:49 pm, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Am Montag 19 Mai 2008 22:15:01 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> > I am mystified by this and by Stefan's reply.  I have not played KDiamond
> > before, but it seems quite fast enough to me.  Nothing takes "seconds"
> > here.
> >
> > Stefan is talking about 30x30 and 50x50 boards, but the most I can get
> > is 12x12 on Very Easy.  In a maximised window at 1280x800 resolution
> > on a 0.8-1.2GHz processor, using the default theme (very pretty, Eugene),
> > speed is OK for me.
>
> Yesterday I played KDiamond on a slower machine (1.8 GHz); at full 1280x800
> resolution it was near to unplayable. The symptoms stay the same, just the
> times increase. The animations were smooth on half the resolution
> (~800x600).
>
> Some things that come to my mind: Which graphics card and driver are you
> using? Do you have 3D acceleration activated? If yes, is KWin compositing?
> For me, I had an Intel GMA X3100 (one of the best of their on-board GPUs)
> with 3D and compositing on. I'll try later what is the result for
> compositing turned off.

The thing is, Eugene, what hardware and software setup do *you* have?
You have the speed problem, Stefan and I do not.

And what about other KDE Games guys?

For me, I really do not know what I have got.  I am developing with KDE 3.5.7,
but using the "cs" and "cb" scripts that set up a KDE 4 trunk environment for
compiling, building and testing.  I have not so far managed to set up a full
KDE 4 desktop.  I have one that I do not use, in which the fancy effects that
do tricks with windows cannot be configured.  Is that what "KWin compositing"
means?

Hardware wise, I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with two 32-bit processors
(Intel Core Duo) that run at 800MHz normally, but can go out to 1200MHz if
required.  Memory is 2Gb.  Screen is 1280x800 and that is the only resolution
I can get.  Graphics card is Intel 945 GM which shares main memory.  The
"Activate 3-D Acceleration" box is ticked in SuSE 10.3's YaST2 installer, but
I am not sure how much "acceleration" that gives me.  Evidently that is not
"one with the lot", as they say at hamburger shops in Australia, otherwise
KDE 4.0 would work properly for me.

KDiamond with a 12x12 square array in a maximised window is occupying
about 600x600 pixels for the array on my 1280x800 screen.  Speed is fine.

Re QT_FLUSH_PAINT=1, there seem to be several other QT environment
variables masking it now.  You need to have (at least)
QGRAPHICSVIEW_DEBUG defined and QT_NO_PAINT_DEBUG *not*
defined and perhaps also QT_WS_QWS *not* defined, or so the source
code of QPainter seems to imply.  I have not yet worked out how to meet
those conditions and make QT_FLUSH_PAINT operational.  It was a
handy tool for testing graphics in games.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. All the best, Ian W.