[Kde-games-devel] kbackgammon - TODO

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat May 24 22:00:34 CEST 2008

A Dijous 22 Maig 2008, Alexander Smirnov va escriure:
> Hello kdegame community!
>
> I've composed a TODO list for kbackgammon. This is where i'm going to
> move with it.
> Please review  if you  have a minute or two, i need your comments on all
> this stuff :)
>
> Thank you!
>

> PART 1 - Defence:
> =================
>
> 1.1 ! QT4 port - hot !
> ----------------------
> - Review a bunch of compilation warnings related to qt4 porting, move to
> qt4 completely, ensure qt3 classes are not used anymore
> ? clean the header file

Good :-)

> 1.2 Bugs
> --------
> - Get rid of crashes (I've faced with SIGSEGV several times).

Yeah, configuring is a thing that makes it crash quite fast.

> - Review bugzilla issues, fix if possible.
> - Chat window shows kind of HTML tags now in every message.
> ? toggle double is NOT automatically set at the beginning of 1 point games!
> - Fix other found major defects.
>
> 1.3 User Interface
> ------------------
> ? add the accumulated online time in the lower right corner of the main
> window status bar
> ? add user profiles with different username, etc.
>     asmirnov: is it really useful feature(especially for multy-user OS)?

I don't think that's a priority either, but it's you doing the work ;-)

> ? add buttons for accept and reject.
>     asmirnov: I would prefer dialog with accept/reject buttons, which
> appears when action from user is required.

Yeah, accept/reject buttons in the main window seem a bit weird to me.

> - FIBS: Show dialog when any player invites you to play. Join/Decline +
> decline reason text edit widget.
>

> 1.4 FIBS engine
> ---------------
> - port the FIBS help system from KFibs
> - add RepBot support. Actually, RepBot is not official part of FIBS.
> It's very useful "player", which is almost always logged to FIBS. It
> helps to avoid droppers.
> ? automatically translate messages --> replace \"a by ae, etc ?dd
>     asmirnov: it would be nice to have i18n'ed messages from FIBS
> server. At least most commonly used.

Yeah i18n is and should be always a priority for KDE

> ? - from original TODO list. Need to review those carefully.
>

> PART 2 - Attack:
> ================
>
> 2.1 User Interface
> ------------------
> 2.1.1.Main window/application
>         - Make a review for all kind of menus. Make starting new games
> easy using any accessible engine, online or offline (currently it is
> chosen in Setting>configure>general settings)
>         - Make it possible to open several chat windows and set
> different filter for each window. Filter could be: kibitz, shouts,
> server events (login/logouts...)
>         - Chat, player list and server events should be integrated to
> main application window, but user should be able to separate them into
> independent windows.
>         - Notifications. Add event notifications configuration menu
> entry - like in others KDE applications (Kopete).
>             - on invitation
>             - on win match
>             - on loss match
>             - on specified player login/logout/win match/finish match/
>             - on player from "saved games" and buddy lists login/logout/...
>             - on your turn
> 2.1.2 FIBS: Player's list
>         - Add buddy list support
>         - Add ignore list support. Do not show such players at all.
>         - Add filters: show only ready to play/all/have saved game
> with/buddy/ignore
>         - Current player list is very wide. By default it contains much
> info which is not very useful. Good option is to leave several most
> important values, such as name, rating, experience and move others to
> player "properties" context menu item, or to hint, like in instant
> messengers. Good example of such player list is Cocoa FIBS.
> 2.1.3. Board
>         - When mouse cursor hovers checker, show possible turns for it.
>         - Add control option for first move - left mouse button on
> checker makes short move, right makes long move.
>         - Animate checker movement.
>         - Add checkers/board/dice themes support. Both SVG themes and
> BMP themes should be supported (like in JavaFIBs client)
>         - Add dice rolling. Should looks effective.
>
> 2.2 Game
> --------
> - FIBS: Auto-invite. There should be options - invite buddies/all
> players, select criteria for invitation - ie rating not more that 1400,
> experience not lesser than 100 and so on.
> - FIBS: Auto-greeting on match start
> - FIBS: Auto-message on match finish
> - add other games support: Hypergammon, Nackgammon, Fevga, Plakoto,
> Deadgammon, Longgammon, Elimintaion.
> - GGZ: integrate with GGZ (Yet Another Internet Backgammon Site - YAIBS?
>
> :) ). (long term)
>
> 2.3 Web
> -------
> - create a web site dedicated to backgammon. There should be a place
> where users could leave feedback, wishes, complaints, bug reports.

We have that already, see games.kde.org we have a webmaster for it too :-)

> 2.4 Engines
> - There should be added several options for user to play:
>     - 2 human player with one computer (local)
>     - game over LAN, where one instance acts as server, another as client
>     - game with computer opponent. There are two computer opponent
> engines available: gnubg (a world class player) and Daren's opponent.
> Need to investigate Daren's player. It would be nice to have different
> level computer opponents.

All in all it seems a very interesting plan, go go go!

Albert