[Kde-games-devel] Low framerate in Kdiamond

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Mon May 19 22:31:48 CEST 2008

Am Montag 19 Mai 2008 22:15:01 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> I am mystified by this and by Stefan's reply.  I have not played KDiamond
> before, but it seems quite fast enough to me.  Nothing takes "seconds"
> here.
>
> Stefan is talking about 30x30 and 50x50 boards, but the most I can get
> is 12x12 on Very Easy.  In a maximised window at 1280x800 resolution
> on a 0.8-1.2GHz processor, using the default theme (very pretty, Eugene),
> speed is OK for me.  Gems disappear instantly and the drop down takes
> tenths of seconds only, which is what I would like.  It is just enough time
> to see what is happening.
>
> I would expect speed to decrease as the square of the board size and
> as the square of the resolution's screen height and so Very Easy (for me)
> is just a tiny bit slower than the other levels.  And I would expect 50x50
> to be about 16 times slower than 12x12, if I could get it.

Okay, the comment about the board size is valid. Let's give 12x12 and the
special size 2x2 a try. Compare the values:

Time until move animation plays first frame:
02x02	80 msecs
12x12	140 msecs
30x30	240 msecs
50x50	720 msecs
Time until remove animation plays first frame:
04x04	88 msecs
12x12	82 msecs
30x30	80 msecs
50x50	80 msecs
As you see, the problem with the first one or two frames are not played.
Whether this appears as flicker, may depend on personal perception. For me,
it flickers (on a 1.8 GHz dual core).

Even if this effect does not matter for you, a delay of 80 msecs is a definite
sign for inefficiencies, and I've absolutely no idea what is the cause.
Tomorrow, I'll try some profiling apps.

Stefan