[Kde-games-devel] Low framerate in Kdiamond

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 19 22:15:01 CEST 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 01:44 am, Eugene Trounev wrote:
> Why is kdiamond so sloooow? (It has always been by the way). If I switch to
> Very Easy and make it full screen the updates are extremely slow... I can
> see every sprite in the disappear animation one by one, and the drop down
> takes seconds. Can it be helped somehow?

I am mystified by this and by Stefan's reply.  I have not played KDiamond
before, but it seems quite fast enough to me.  Nothing takes "seconds" here.

Stefan is talking about 30x30 and 50x50 boards, but the most I can get
is 12x12 on Very Easy.  In a maximised window at 1280x800 resolution
on a 0.8-1.2GHz processor, using the default theme (very pretty, Eugene),
speed is OK for me.  Gems disappear instantly and the drop down takes
tenths of seconds only, which is what I would like.  It is just enough time
to see what is happening.

I would expect speed to decrease as the square of the board size and
as the square of the resolution's screen height and so Very Easy (for me)
is just a tiny bit slower than the other levels.  And I would expect 50x50 to
be about 16 times slower than 12x12, if I could get it.

Mystified, Ian W.

P.S. I don't think I have graphics acceleration working, but I cannot be sure.
I am using a hybrid setup, KDE 3.5.7 with KDE 4 trunk libraries and runtime.