[Kde-games-devel] kbackgammon

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 16 06:57:57 CEST 2008

On Thu, 15 May 2008 07:31 pm, Alexander Smirnov wrote:
> Hello everybody!

Hi Alexander, and welcome to our group ... :-)

> I found kbackgammon is not maintained currently :( i think it's a nice
> game and it's development/bug fixing shouldn't be stopped. Yes, it looks
> ugly for present days. I have several ideas how to improve it and make
> more sexy :) Sexy enough to be included to kde4 :)

This work would be very welcome indeed.  Unfortunately KBackgammon
failed to make it into KDE 4.0 and that was a great loss.

The original author was untraceable in late 2006, but a guy called
Daren Sawkey (Daren <kdegames at spamguard.allmail.net>) was
working on it back then.  On 1 December 2006, he announced on this
list that he had converted it to KDE 4.  His last post to us was on
5 March 2007, just over a year ago.

It might be worth searching the KDE Games mail archives back then
to find out more about what he was doing and what other members of
KDE Games had to say about required features for KBackgammon.

I remember that continuing support for on-line access to the international
Backgammon players' website (FIBS?) was high on the list.

It would be nice if you can track down Daren, but with his email
address being kdegames at spamguard.allmail.net that might be a
problem.  It looks like a temporary kind of address.  But if you can
find him, he might be able to help you.

> If you have no objections i'd like to make several pathes for it. Since
> i'm new in kde development i'd appreciate any help - from hints on
> setting up development environment, organization details, to QT-specific
> things.

All the more reason to try and find out what the last maintainer did ...
and whether he is happy to hand over to you or help out.  That's our
etiquette.  And sometimes guys do some further coding but never
commit it ... ;-)

All the best, Alexander, and I really look forward to you pulling off the
rescue of this important KDE Game.

Cheers, Ian W.

P.S. Records of Daren's commits should be in the SVN repository
and you might be able to find another email address for him there.