[Kde-games-devel] [OT] Tar (was: Re: Game introduction: Nonogram)

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Wed May 14 08:54:31 CEST 2008

> Von: "Tom Vollerthun"
> Hi Ian,
>
> I'm glad you pointed out the problems with tar-files. I think I will go
> back to subdirectories with plain files. But that _will_ result in one file
> per level, since I (currently) use image files (p.e. xbm) as game data. I
> don't really care about that, but since you said I wouldn't want it: what's
> the downside of having three hundret small files instead of one large
> (except of using more I-Nodes in the file system and causing a small amount of
> fragmentation) ?

I wrote a small QIODevice-Wrapper for tar which can read and write files from/to tar files. It can be found here: http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/kdewin-installer/3rdparty/filters/

We use it in our kdewin-installer to unpack .tar.bz2 and it works fine. I must say that this class only a small subset of tar - it can read tar files created by linux tar but don't know about others (imho there are more than five slightly different tar formats). But this can be fixed if needed.

Christian
--
249 Spiele für nur 1 Preis. Die GMX Spieleflatrate schon ab 9,90 Euro.
Neu: Asterix bei den Olympischen Spielen: http://flat.games.gmx.de