[Kde-games-devel] Game introduction: Nonogram

Tom Vollerthun Vollerthun at gmx.de
Tue May 13 19:14:01 CEST 2008

Hi,

my name is Tom Vollerthun. I am in the progress of developing a puzzle game for my wife.
It is a nonogram-game. You can find examples of it at http://www.blindchicken.com/~ali/games/puzzles.html

The game is already kind of usable (you can play), although it really has an ugly GUI (de-uglification is left for later).

The actual puzzle-data is packaged into tar files which are located and loaded at runtime, so that game packages can be provided.
Together with the game data, I want to have some kind of description file which can contain the name, some descriptive text (perhaps an artistic license?) and a hint.
Unfortunately I am not at all sure on how to go about designing these description files in a way that makes them accessible to translations.

Should the Strings be all in one file like Name=..., Name[dk]=... as in the desktop-files? Should there be subdirectories for each locale? How can I determine the preferred locale?

You see, there are quite some questions :)

annma from #kde-devel said, if the game was somewhere in svn (playground/games perhaps?) the chance would be better that someone could help me.
Since I would love to see my game as a part of KDE some day, I hereby wanted to introduce it to you.

How should I proceed to get the code (and stuff) into svn?
Perhaps make a tarfile and post it here so you can have a look at it?

Thanks for reading and kind regards,
Tom Vollerthun

Computer Science is no more about computers
than astronomy is about telescopes.
Dijkstra