[Kde-games-devel] Correct useage of phonon?

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Mon May 12 10:35:04 CEST 2008

2008/5/12 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> On Saturday 10 May 2008, Michael Thaler wrote:
>
> > would work, but I think it is quite ugly to load the files from disk each
>  > time they are played.
>
>  one would hope that the OS kernel would keep these files in the disk cache and
>  so would be fetching them from RAM always; and it might not be too much to
>  ask from phonon to also provide sort of transparent caching at some point. so
>  yes, i don't see many other ways around this atm but in practice i imagine
>  the impact shouldn't be horrible due to modern disk caching.

Well, that depends. It did not look too cheap either. And it would be
nice to use .ogg files everywhere instead of .wav files to keep the
package size down.

For games transparent caching would be OK, but at some point you want
to use memory audio buffers
anyway... For example to play something like  "mod" files in game.