[Kde-games-devel] KNewStuff Repositories

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon May 5 17:54:03 CEST 2008

Hello,

Am Montag 05 Mai 2008 05:44:06 schrieb Jeremy Whiting:
> > I do not think it is a good idea to "release" our own themes through
> > a hot new stuff site.  It endangers the artistic integrity of the work
> > IMO. What do artists think?  Do you want unknown guys tinkering with your
> > work and perhaps damaging it in the process?
>
> That's a good question I hadn't thought of.  Currently only the author can
> change an entry on sites/providers like kde-look.org.  I'm not sure if the
> same is true for HotStuff (current hotstuff server software written by
> Josef Spillner).  Josef, feel free to chime in here :)

The game author controls which GHNS repository is being used by writing it
into the *.knsrc file.
Now different repositories might have different policies about who can upload
data. It is perfectly fine to only give KDE developers access to it, which is
what the current repo at data.kstuff.org does. Other possible configurations
would be to give all people the rights to upload, but control it through an
upload queue by a number of moderators, or to let everyone upload without any
control whatsoever.

Any game currently has its own GHNS "provider" with custom configuration, e.g.
if user comments about the data should be allowed or not. The one for
KGoldRunner uses the shared SVN repository which is also used for KHangMan,
KDiamond, KAnagram and other games and edu applications. It could even access
a custom SVN, hosted somewhere else, if this was necessary. Just not
svn.kde.org because so far we've got no indication from the sysadmins that
they'd like this (and this includes the www module).

So in summary, when using GHNS, it is totally up to the author of a game to
which extent he wants to give control over levels and themes away to the user
community.

Josef