[Kde-games-devel] Kapman

Mathieu Ducharme ducharme.mathieu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 02:02:35 CET 2008

Hello, I never posted to this list before but am working on
ultra-secret-projects-that-may-someday-see-the-light...
Been lurking for a while so.... hi everybody!

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Matthew Woehlke <
mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> [...]
>
> How much "not like the traditional game" are we talking? I was going to
> at least put hats on all the actors (which would be a diversion). Note
> that there are also a bazillion clones on the net with unchanged
> artwork; I doubt many of them are licensed in any way... (I'd also note
> that I don't think the KGr artwork is 'notably different' from that of
> the game that inspired it.)
>
> I'd be open to ideas... I do want to use unique hats for each actor, in
> some way.

I remember a few years ago many websites got shut down for hosting a flash
game where the main character looks very similar to a pie chart.
I personally would not use anything close to ghosts or pie for the artwork.
Those "retro" themes could always be distributed with KHNS.

There are many ways to keep the exact same gameplay without having the
artwork match so closely the original...
- "Cave Digger", with gold instead of "pills". (hey, it could be sold as a
"top-down KGR"...)
- "Archelogists", in the same veins, dig bones, avoid errrr.. zombies?
- "Zombies", Fetch brains avoid... errr.. archeologists?
- "Pirates vs. Ninja"
- "Konquie" (he should be in every games in a non-default theme....)
- "Whatever..."

I would personally like an "Italian" theme where the walls are made of green
pipes, the enemies are turtles, the pills are coins and the "special pills"
are mushrooms.
It could be trademarked too though :P

In fact, I would consider changing the name too... of course IANAL yada yada

About "AI":

I can't find any source right now but I am pretty sure in the original (or
it might only be in the sequel: "Pie Chart with a red ribbon") had 4
different behavior for the enemies. It was something like, one random, one
aggressive, one passive and another one I cant remember at all...

I think it was part of what made the-orginal-that-shall-remain-unnamed so
tough. Too hard, IMHO.