[Kde-games-devel] Game status view

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Sat Jun 7 22:47:45 CEST 2008

Many of our games (KGoldRunner, KNetwalk, KBlocks, KDiamond, ...) have a
statusbar showing information about the game status (remaining time, earned
points, level) and the difficulty selector. At first, the status bar is an
obvious place for such information which does not constrain the size of the
actual game view very much. That is also the problem: the status bar is
difficult to discover if you do not know it, and it is hard to read on big
windows.

Other games (esp. those running in fullscreen mode) have information panels at
one of the screen edges where such information is organised. The situation is
the exact opposite here: An information panel takes much place away for the
sake of visibility and readability.

I would like to know how we actually came to the extensive usage of statusbars
for game informations, and whether there are better solutions to accomplish
this task (esp. with regard to small window sizes).

Good night.
Stefan