[Kde-games-devel] KDiamond patch for checking board playability

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Sun Jun 1 13:31:40 CEST 2008

Am Freitag 30 Mai 2008 01:17:15 schrieb Paul B:
> On Thursday 29 May 2008 21:12:44 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > Despite from not having tested it, the patch looks very good.
> > However, there are two points I would like to raise:
> > 1. If at all, I would only include a full implementation, i.e.
> > including the number of possible moves, and the hint button.
> > (Perhaps also an undo button, but I'm not sure how the difficulty
> > will be affected by this.)
>
> Have patch now that shows the full amount of moves remaining in
> statusbar, and has hint button that selects the diamond needed to
> make combo, by setting m_selection1, m_selection1x and m_selection1y,
> then running m_selection1->show().

It seems to me that you misunderstood me in that point. I was not meaning that
I won't apply your patch until these things are addressed, I would have done
it, too. Of course, I'm not going to complain because of you doing the
work. ;-)

I've created a feature branch and am currently working on inclusion of your
patch. The branch and its web view are located at:

svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/kdiamond-4.2
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/kdiamond-4.2

> An undo button seems to me like it'd be unrelated to the features I've
> added in (whereas the moves remaining, hint button and checking if
> the game is playable were mostly done with the same function.)
> I could of course work on it as well, but right now I'm not sure how
> I'd do it, I have a couple of ideas of ways to do it, but they all
> seem inefficient or overly-complicated for what doesn't seem that
> hard a task.

As far as I know, there are some classes in Qt (QUndoStack, QUndoView etc.). I
haven't looked at these yet.

> If you think that I'm doing this badly or think I could improve it
> please tell me, I'm doing this to practise my C++ and knowledge of
> KDE and Qt

I was doing exactly the same when I wrote KDiamond. And I'm glad that my code
is so readable that another person can add features to it.

Stefan