[Kde-games-devel] KDEGames mukt.in 2008 presentation

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 25 03:34:59 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:35:33 am Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> > Thanks for your input.
>
> Well, you asked for it :)
>
> While the slides are good, the notes in general have a somehow negative
> depiction of the games shipped with KDE2 and KDE3. While it is true that
> the new games use newer (and arguably better) technology, specially in
> the graphics department, I don't think the main point to be covered is
> the KDE3-games-were-bad-and-now-they-rock one, as this is debatable.
> KMahjongg for example has basically the same 10 year old code in its
> guts, and the facelift only rejuvenated it. So it is an evolution, and
> not a complete revolution. Previous releases deserve nothing but our
> full respect :)

Hmmm ... yes ... as one of the "old-timers" of KDE Games, I was about
to give Eugene a blast, but it's all settled now.  I have been wondering
why we have not seen Inge Wallin lately ... :-(

Can I leave everybody with one thought?

The wisest thing I ever heard a politician say was when I was about
18 and very proud of having reached University.

He said, "There are two kinds of fool in this world: one who says, 'This
thing is old, therefore it is good', the other who says, 'This thing is new,
therefore it is better'."

Now I am 70 and have been in this industry 44 years and my time in
KDE Games has been but the blink of an eye (about 5 years :-)), but
I have always found that politician's perspective *very* useful in relation
to my own work.  I keep thinking to myself, all the time, which kind of fool
I might be emulating at the moment ... and that has been a great help
over the years.  I hope others will find it helpful too ... not that there are
any fools around here ... :-) :-)

All the best, Ian W.

P.S. I am greatly looking forward to meeting as many of this group as
possible at Akademy next month.  Are we having a KDE Games BoF?