[Kde-games-devel] Go game

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 17 21:57:57 CEST 2008

Sascha Peilicke wrote:
> I'm new to this list but like to start right away and introduce KGo, a Go
> board game (and frontend to GnuGo) I'm currently writing.

Rock on! I love Go, but never have any humans to play with locally, and
have been too lazy to go hunting a decent computer client. Having one in
kdegames will be awesome :-D. (I'm not familiar with GNU Go, is it human
vs. human only or is there human vs. computer also?)

> It's already themable,

Cool. Do you have artwork already? I imagine the KReversi theme would be
fairly easy to adapt, and IMO it has the right look for a "traditional"
theme already.

> can interakt with all go engines supporting the  go text protocol (GTP)

I sort-of asked this already, but I hope you plan to (eventually at
least) support human vs. human at the same machine, if this isn't
already done? (I.e. it's not *just* a GTP front-end?)

> I would be glad if someone could check out the code, take a look at it and
> decide what steps are necessary to get it into final shape (and into
> playground). It's currently hosted in a bazaar branch on launchpad.net:
>
> bzr checkout lp:~sasch-pe/+junk/kgo

If it seems to be in half-decent shape already (no severe bugs,
playable) I would think you can put it in playground already. That will
help with laze people (read: me ;-) ) that don't want to have to mess
with external repositories.

(I *hope* it's ok to put WIP stuff in playground, anyway, when/if I ever
get around to KZebra, I intend to drop it in playground as soon as it
builds and displays a window ;-), so all development will be totally
public and all history will be in KDE's svn. As far as I know it's fine,
i.e. playground is pretty much anything-goes, so long as its relevant to
KDE.)

--
Matthew
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with