[Kde-games-devel] Memorandum. RE.: KDEGames monthly meeting.

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 23 04:13:00 CET 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:32 pm, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Ian Wadham wrote:
> > So in case I am unable to attend this time, here is my 2c worth:-
> >
> > Procedural: Major decisions at IRC meetings should be published,
> > discussed and confirmed on this list, for the benefit of those who
> > were unable, for whatever reason, to attend the meeting.
>
> I hope you will be able to participate this time, for fun! But I agree
> with you that the serious "decisions" on the meeting should also be
> confirmed via the mailing list. I think this is more or less what
> happens already, isn't it? Even when games were removed we had a list of
> "candidates for removal", and a last chance to rescue them via mailing
> list (which saved KJumpingCube :))

Well yes, up to a point, but in the case of KJC it was removed before
I was expecting it and I had to push hard for its reinstatement as well
as working intensively to SVGize it.  I do not wish to go through a
week like that again ... :-)  AFAIR it was removed very soon after the
IRC meeting that decided it.

> <for brevity only, big snip of an important statement from Mauricio>

> > So my vote is to do *both* of the above, refine existing games, add
> > new games and revive KDE 3 games that were passed over, but avoid
> > too great a burden of cosmetic and new-GUI features, such as those
> > proposed under "Visuals changes", "User interaction" and "On screen
> > interface" in the above-mentioned Ideas page.
>
> +1, +1, +1. Not that I think that there is something fundamentally wrong
> with some of the ideas, I just think they should not be compulsory or
> whole-module-affairs. A nice strategy could be if someone wants to
> experiment with some (of all) of these ideas in ONE game. This is a nice
> start: maybe we will end up with good technology and APIs that other can
> use in the future as well, maybe for 4.2, 4.3, or 5.

Thank you very much for all of your support on these issues,
Mauricio and Josef.  I came out of the jungle and said my bit,
but I did not plan to take Havana ... :-)

I realise that there are still some non-conforming features in
KGoldrunner and KJumpingCube and I plan to address *most* of
them ... ;-)  Or maybe Luciano will, or perhaps Thomi Richards, who
contacted me from London the other day and would like to "ease
into" some KDE Games work ... :-)

KGr will probably lose its status bar.  A person has to be able to
read the score easily at any time and there is all that waste real
estate in the KGoldrunner borders ...  I protested strongly to Aaron
and friends on kde-devel about the vanilla-ising of the status bar
in KDE 4, but to no avail.  BTW, I think you might be able to write
a QStylesheet for it now and get, say, a red status bar with large
white text ... ;-)  And if KGr is going to switch to libkdegames'
high-score, someone is going to have to get into that code,
maybe me ...

> Personal plans for 4.1: finish KBlocks, work on KMahjongg's level
> editor, some cleanup of KShisen.

Whatever happened to Mark Taff and his girlfriend?  She was going
to leave him if we dropped KSirtet.  Maybe Mark is celibate now and
has some time to work on KDE Games ...

All the best, Ian W.