[Kde-games-devel] Unify pixmap caching across card games

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 01:37:56 CET 2008

Il Wednesday 09 January 2008 00:22:25 Ian Wadham ha scritto:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 03:58 am, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Another update on the files, this time I include the whole bunch, i.e.
> > header and implementation.
>
> Thank you for all your work on this, Andreas.  Just a small footnote.
>
> When Luciano said "dice", he perhaps had a typo on "deuce", which
> is American for two (in card games), but maybe not a widely known
> word outside the USA, except as a score in tennis ... :-)

Oops, yes, I realized that when I read the answer, but forgot to correct
myself. So "Two" is the common name of the card, outside the US?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot_cards there
> are Tarot card games, played in several European countries, but the cards
> are mainly used for fortune-telling in English-speaking countries.

Yes, I have a rule book describing a game called "Tarocco Piemontese", played
with a tarot deck. It is three player game, and I have tried playing it with
my family, but the rules take a while to learn, and computing the score is
not easy. A computerized version would be useful to quickly find the winner!

I know there are a few places in Italy where the tarots are used to
play different kinds of card games.

The international card deck is a simplification of the tarot deck, I have
read, and the Jolly Joker is a vestigial Fool card.

The swords, staves, coins and cups are still used in many regional decks in
Italy (and in Spain, I have seen).

Cheers,
Luciano