[Kde-games-devel] Open Source Go server and software

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Feb 3 14:41:11 CET 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:07 am, Josef Spillner (KDE) wrote:
> Em 3/2/2008, "Albert Astals Cid" <aacid at kde.org> escreveu:
> >I'm quite sure that there's "lots" (ok maybe no more than 1000 but that's
> >enough imho) users out there that are Go fans that don't want to use
> > Windows but it's their only option. If we give them a good KDE client
> > they can switch to KDE more easily.
>
> GNU Go is a good AI player, maybe not the best out there but still
> sufficiently strong for the majority of players I'd say. It is very
> easy to wrap some game server code around it. <snip>

Thanks very much, Albert and Josef, for your interesting replies.

Just to make sure we are on the same wavelength, a server for a Go
AI opponent would be good and I think valuable for beginners, and
maybe as a starting point in development work.

But by "Go server" I mean a club or meeting place for human Go
players, including the ability to log on and watch games in progress
or study past games, maybe even run tournaments, and certainly
record rankings of members, etc. etc.  Apparently Go servers can
also run a game in real-time, on-line ... or off-line (if you are
time-poor or bandwidth-limited) submitting moves by an email-
like method.  Well I'm waffling and have not studied the
possibilities, but I just wanted to make the point.

An Open Source Go server would also be installable anywhere,
so could be used by quite small groups to set up a local player
community or support an existing Go club.

Cheers, Ian W.