[Kde-games-devel] Open Source Go server and software

Josef Spillner (KDE) spillner at kde.org
Sun Feb 3 14:07:08 CET 2008

Em 3/2/2008, "Albert Astals Cid" <aacid at kde.org> escreveu:
>I'm quite sure that there's "lots" (ok maybe no more than 1000 but that's
>enough imho) users out there that are Go fans that don't want to use Windows
>but it's their only option. If we give them a good KDE client they can switch
>to KDE more easily.

GNU Go is a good AI player, maybe not the best out there but still
sufficiently strong for the majority of players I'd say. It is very
easy to wrap some game server code around it. Some time ago I wrote a
server for it which communicates via the standard Go Modem Protocol
(GMP). This protocol is also supported by CGoBan, one of the commonly
used X11 clients. Therefore, the server already has 2 clients available
to it: CGoBan and GGZBoard.
I think that integration of GMP into Tagua shouldn't be that hard.
Alternatively, one could think about implementing the competing Go Text
Protocol (GTP) which is easier to debug but less performing.

Unfortunately I cannot write at great length at it at the moment due to
lack of time this weekend (also sorry for not showing up at yesterday's
IRC meeting).

I'm also not a very good Go player although I do win against GNU Go once
in a while :-)

Josef