[Kde-games-devel] Kapman sprite system (also, connecting-tiles systems)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 10 18:35:22 CET 2008

Eugene Trounev wrote:
> I agree with Mauricio here. As an artist I love the ID system, as it makes my
> life so much easier.

133 invisible bounding rects, groups, and id's is easier than 26 id's
and NO groups or invisible bounding rects? Sorry, I just don't follow.

Ok, in fairness you'd only need 36 invisible bounding rects, but you DO
need 133 groups and id's to match the example I posted. And don't give
me the "but you don't need to worry about pixel-perfection" argument,
because it's wrong; if you omit the bounding rects and skimp on pixel
perfection, then your animation is off with either system. My way gives
you the same precision with - at worst - the same amount of effort,
without having to type 133 id's. And that's for only four frames of
animation on the ghosts and /one/ on the items (except the energizer,
which has two).

My system also means I can delete all the sprites and redo them from
scratch without having to touch the id's at all (unless I change the
number of frames, animation hints, etc.)... which also makes it a lot
easier to create new themes.

In fact, I'd bet someone with no idea what they are doing (i.e. that
hasn't encountered our id system before) could open an existing theme
and create a totally new one with exactly one piece of hand-holding:
"don't delete the big solid-colored rectangles, they're important". Can
you say the same for the current system?

> Also I really would like us to keep all the artwork in 1
> file per theme.

I honestly don't get why this is so important. KPat is a mess because it
doesn't have a consistent theme (as far as backs, I've argued that's a
good thing, and for backgrounds also, but decoupling the placeholder
elements is probably not such a good thing). Being in separate files
isn't the problem, it's that they have no relation to each other.

I don't see what's so bad about one folder with multiple svg's. That
said, except for hashed mazes, I don't think there is anything stopping
you from lumping everything into one svg with the system I described in
README; since everything has a unique ID for orientation, there is no
reason I can think of why you couldn't put everything in one huge file.
(And, actually, this just gives theme authors the choice.)

For hashed mazes, you're talking what might be a /very/ complicated
graphic, possibly several times over. I'm not sure I want that in the
same file as the sprites. At the least, it makes editing the theme a pain.

Note that I'm NOT talking about mix-and-match of the elements; Kapman
will have one theme choice that will theme everything.

--
Matthew
"Who wants to sing?" -- Orcs (Warcraft II)