[Kde-games-devel] kdegames maintainer list update

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 03:46:40 CET 2008

2008/12/5 Eugene Trounev :
> Well either shouldn't be difficult to do.
>
> For the rotation (or any other animation on hover) you simply need to add an
> animation loader for each element[N] which, while loading a theme would test
> whether element with id element[N] exists inside an SVG file, and if it does
> - load it into the next array element (alternatively this can be
> accomplished using .desktop file which would define animation length). Then
> add onhover sensor for each element you want animated. You can check out
> klines code for example.
>
> To do *Join* effect is a bit trickier then that. Each element in SVG file
> would then have 5 frames to it: a) element itself (square, round,
> triangular, whatever; b) 4 possible connections sub elements. The trick here
> is that the element's visible body is always smaller then the sprite itself,
> and each subelement is like a full sprite, yet it's actual body is absent,
> and only a connection element present. The code doesn't use an actual
> element body sprite, but rather a copy of it, so an actual sprite will
> always be there for later use. When peace falls the code would check if the
> other peace siting next to it, below, or above is of the same type, then if
> it is the code would blit (or whatever it's called in QT) the necessary
> subelement on top of the element copy. So, now you have not just a circle,
> square, or triangle, but that with a connector element sticking out :) Add
> the same element to the next peace and it will seem as if they are
> connected/merged. (I've attached a sample image as an illustration)

Nice example diagram. Would it not be quite tricky to get the
connectors to line of perfectly, especially with a complicated or
detailed theme? I'm just picturing lots "of by a pixel" rendering
issues that would be extra visible in this case. Is any other KDE game
using this (or a similar) technique?

Another issue would be combining the connectors with the animation.
Would we animate the connectors too. That seems like a lot of sprites
for artists to draw. If they weren't animated, we would have to take a
lot of care that the static connectors didn't overlap with the
animated pieces.

Anyway, there are lot's on interesting challenges to doing this in a
both flexible and schnazzy way. I'm interested to see where this goes.
When does trunk open up again? :D

Parker