[Kde-games-devel] kdegames maintainer list update

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 23:05:32 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 16:32, Ian Wadham wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 07:33:04 am Parker Coates wrote:
>> 2008/12/5 Sascha Peilicke:
>> > So what are the future plans for KSame?
>>
>> At one point early in the 4.0 cycle there was talk about adding
>> support for Klickety style game play. (If you weren't aware, KDE3 had
>> both Klickety and KSame. The games were very, very similar and
>> differed only in appearance and the size of the game field.)
>>
>> I'm not sure if anyone is still strongly advocating for that or not.
>>
> Well I am.  I really miss Klickety and the justification for dropping it
> was that KSame could be configured (given some code changes)
> to be very like Klickety, but nobody ever made those code changes :-(
>
> KSame could also benefit by adding some graphics themes.  Maybe
> Eugene or Luciano can help with that.
>
> The differences included number of colours, too.  Basically Klickety
> had a narrower and taller grid and more colours.
>
> That gave you quite a different game-experience and made the
> game more difficult IIRC.

Klickety was definitely more challenging than KSame, although this
shouldn't be that hard to make customisable.

Klickety also had simple falling and disappearing animations.
Surprisingly, I found they added a lot to the game play experience.

Because Klickety used square pieces, it could "join" connect pieces of
the same colour into "blobs". This too was a nice effect, but I'm not
sure if something similar could be done in KSame because it uses
balls.

But probably the point that disappointed me most about Klicketly's
demise was just how fun it is to say. Klickety! Klickety! Klickety!
Who wouldn't want to play a game named Klickety?

Parker