[Kde-games-devel] Sound in kdegames?

Eugene Trounev eugene.trounev at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 17:05:50 CEST 2008

Ohne of the goals of this aKademy was to meet Phonon development team and to
discuss the state of sound in KDE. For that reason me and Luciano have
attended Phonon BoF session along with Amarok.
The result was as follows:
1) the Phonon developer has announced that he is stepping down for personal
reasons; meaning there will not be any active development for now;
2) we asked him directly about the features that we need from Phonon, and he
replied that Phonon is not a multimedia architecture we need. It's just an
abstraction layer between various multimedia architectures (XINE, Pulse Audio,
etc.) and KDE apps. It can not do mixing, channel separation, or effects. He
then recommended OpenAL as a possible solution.

So, there we have it folks :/ Either we forget about the sound in kdegames, or
we will have to develop our own multimedia solution.