[Kde-games-devel] KDE Games Report from Akademy 2008

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Sat Aug 16 21:08:41 CEST 2008

Am Samstag 16 August 2008 19:48:49 schrieb Matt Williams:
> On Wednesday we had a status report BoF from Josef but I'll let him update
> people on that if he wants.

The talk was about moving more multiplayer-related libraries into libkdegames,
which almost everyone agreed upon. The move will happen in a couple of weeks.
It won't make the games more multiplayer-capable per se, but increases the
visibility of the features by introducing a connection dialogue. This will
hopefully lead to more people being interested in these features and in turn
implementing multiplayer modes into their games :-)

The time after the talk was used to port the KDE 3 table configuration
dialogue for game launching so that one can now play in any combination and
not only against a bot. Another BoF on community issues brought some new
ideas of how to guide people online when they play games to avoid community
conflicts.

It was a very productive Akademy (despite me being on holiday there, ha) and I
share the positive feeling described by Matt for meeting so many known and
new faces.

> == kdegameslibs Module ==
[...]
> Action needed:
>   * Talk to release-team about creating the new module (Matt Williams)

It would be wise to create a list of functionality that kdegames, kdeedu and
other modules share before approaching release-team. This might even include
planned functionality not in SVN yet. Such a module will likely only be
accepted if there is a lot to share; otherwise the recommendation could be to
use svn:externals.

I like the idea of creating a kdegameslibs module, although I wonder how this
might increasingly complicate the installation process if the global module
order becomes more important and more *-libs modules are being created.

Josef