[Kde-games-devel] Behavior of game applications after being started.

Karl Ove Hufthammer Karl.Hufthammer at math.uib.no
Sat Aug 9 16:02:43 CEST 2008

Ethan Anderson:

> I agree that a game starting up right when you start a game application
> can be annoying.  This should never happen with a game that is timed.

I agree. And this includes the various card and board games.

> With other games, however, it is fine.  Is it fair for some timed games to
> have a pre-start observation period?

I think that could be considered cheating. And I guess KShisen hides the
tiles when you press the ‘Pause’ button because of this.

I guess in card games and similar games you could lay out the cards (so that
the user could see the current layout) but not turn them over and start the
timer before the user cliks on the ‘Start game’ button. But then again,
KPat doesn’t *use* a timer (and should not, either). :-)

Of course, with games such as KMines, there is no problem showing the entire
playing field when game starts (but the timer should not start before the
first click).

I agree with all of the below: