[Kde-games-devel] Behavior of game applications after being started.

Ethan Anderson ethana2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 23:46:09 CEST 2008

I forwarded this to the same recipient and changed the 'subject' field,
which should keep it from being in the wrong conversation thread in gmail
and similar clients.
..I'm also less confused now about why one mailing list is spawning multiple
conversations in my gmail inbox ;)

I agree that a game starting up right when you start a game application can
be annoying.  This should never happen with a game that is timed.  With
other games, however, it is fine.  Is it fair for some timed games to have a
pre-start observation period?  If so, starting when the app is opened and
starting the counter on first click is fine; if not, naturally, the user
should have to actually start a new game for the game to begin.

The problem with the 'start new game' approach is that it involves this tiny
button in the tool bar or menu bar.

When I start a game, I'd like it to be one big button in the middle saying
'click here to start a new game' if there's no current game or 'click here
to resume last game' if there was.

..and when a game is over, whether or /not/ high scores are displayed, the
user should get a dialog with the 'quit' and 'new game' options in it
instead of having to go back up to the menu/toolbar every time.

Some mines games I played would start a new game just by clicking on a
played-through field.  That was really nice.