[Kde-games-devel] GSoC: my idea for KRings game

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 00:07:01 CEST 2008

Hi, I wish to participate in GSoC and I was told it's still OK to post
own idea about new KDE game. I wish to introduce my idea for KRings
game. Please, feel free to comment and let me know if it is possible
to take such a task as GSoC "job".

Board:
I plan to use n*m square fields (about 10*10, I can't determine size
before first testing stage) and each field is going to be one of
theses:
a) null
b) wall
c) coloured ring
d) arrow (4 directions)

Aim:
The aim of the game is to remove all rings from board. When you place
two or more rings one by one (vert or hor) then theses rings are
removed.

How it works:
You can move rings only by clicking on arrow-fields. When you click an
arrow all rings between arrow-head and the closest wall are moved by
one field. Of course wall on way of ring blocks it's possibility of
move in that direction.

Levels:
All levels have to be hardcoded. I think it's rather impossible to
create algorithm for generating non-trivial and solveable random
levels. I wish to prepare about 10 levels for start and hope to have
people imvolved in creating new ones.

Other:
1) I think highscore table is unneeded there. Levels are always the
same so it doesn't make sense to count time. We could count amount of
movements but I'm not sure about that.
2) If next levels creators request, we may create some new fields
after first stable version. Example? Universal-color-ring. Empty field
allowing only one way movements. Field-hole eating one ring. Double
arrow. Plus probably more.
3) After achieving bigger amount of levels we may think about grouping
theses in ~3 difficult levels. Also some conditions like 80% easy
levels passed = access to medium levels.

Well, that's all. I think rules are quite clear and game can provide a
lot of fun while requiring logic thinking.

--
Rafał Miłecki