[Kde-games-devel] Re : Re : What to do for default theme for Kapman?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 2 19:03:26 CEST 2008

Eugene Trounev wrote:
> But this is completly oposite to what we are doing now in KDEGames
> Grid based tiles? That's very impractical I think.

I disagree. I found it very easy to draw a bunch of grid-aligned tiles.

> Even more so, this will
> create big problems with element positioning and alighnment in the future.

Eh... how? It avoids having to create invisible "bounding rects",
maintain said rects, maintain elementID's... I started out that way. I
hated it. I found it much, *much* easier to just draw things on a neat
grid and have the code take care of everything.

Maybe I am missing how to add elements to a group without breaking the
group and having to reassign the ID... but I just don't see the benefit.

> Don't forget - it's not rasters you are dealing with, it's vector graphics,
> and vectors have no size.

Um... yeah they do. All svg's have a native resolution, which as I
explained, is translated directly into scene units. You're relying on
this just as much with the 'invisible bounding rects' as you are just
putting stuff in well-defined places. And the svg looks neater that way,
too.

--
Matthew
 > pinotree uses the large trout on tsdgeos and PutHuhn :)
 > PutHuhn runs
 > tsdgeos lights a fire and eats the trout
(with apologies to Pino Toscano, PutHuhn and Albert Astals Cid, who came
up with this entirely on their own)