[Kde-games-devel] Re : Re : What to do for default theme for Kapman?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 2 05:50:30 CEST 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
>> You wrote that you have a theme description in-progress, can you share
>> this? Maybe we can help, as almost all of the other games have faced
>> this issue in the past year.

...and, naturally, there isn't anything about whole-maze svg's in there.
I guess that shows my priorities ;-). Please be assured I'm not trying
to kill those off, I just want both to be available.

Another note: there is intentionally nothing about the maze xml's in
there; I don't think themes should describe the mazes at all (bundling
with mazes is fine, but in such instances I'd expect those mazes would
automatically become available in all themes).

> - corridor.svg is a 20px x 20px tile used for non-wall cells in the maze, and is optional.

...obviously this needs revision for corridor tiles. Probably the theme
should specify the corridor type out of { none, single, tiles }.

Note: all pixels are svg/scene pixels; one cell is 20 scene pixels,
which is of course scaled to an appropriate number of screen pixels. The
point is that all svg elements are to a well-defined, fixed scale, so
that size/alignment come directly from the svg rather than needing to be
specified in the theme description (which would be all but unworkable
for the walls).

> Kapman doesn't use element ID's. Instead, frames within an svg are found based on their position in the svg file. Unlike using element ID's, this allows for graphics that do not fill the frame (which is especially important for walls).

...and also because I find it far easier to just drop everything in a
neat grid than try to maintain correct ID's (and groups!) for several
dozen tiles :-).

Incidentally, how does KGr do this? I'd think walking animations would
be very prickly about alignment, such that trying to go strictly by
element bounding box (which is what happens when you use elementID)
would be nearly impossible.

--
Matthew
Yesterday, I thought of the best .sig that has ever been contemplated.