[Kde-games-devel] untranslated strings in kdegames

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Wed Sep 26 22:32:06 CEST 2007

Hi  Mauricio,

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 19:14:46 Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Burkhard Lück wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tested the translation of some kdegames with Coolo's language x-test
> > (trunk/l10n-kde4/x-test) and found some untranslatable messages in
> > trunk/kdegames from 25.09.2007
>
> Can you explain in more detail how this works?

checkout l10n-kde4/x-test
l10n-kde4/x-test/update_xx.sh
This script generates translations from l10n-kde4/templates/messages, eg
msgid "foo"
msgstr "xxfooxx"
The desktop files are processed by scripty on the server, check if every
desktop file in kdegames has an entry "Name[x-test]=xxfooxx", a lot of them
do have it.
Then you have a fully translated language x-test.

Install it and start the application with "KDE_LANG=x-test kmahjongg". Every
message without leading and trailing xx you see, is untranslatable or there is
some other i18n error in the application.

To verify the case, where a desktop file has no x-test entry, I checked it
with a fully translated german desktop_kdegames.po (translations spread by
scripty on 22.09.2007 into all kdegames desktop files).

> I am seeing some
> translations in .desktop files that are not really correct (default for
> example appears to be translated automatically, and the brazilian
> portuguese word chosen for it is not the best in the context of theme
> names for example.) Maybe these are related?
>
> > kmahjongg:
> > "Combinations left:"
> > In configure dialog:
> > Names of board layouts: "Default", "Triangle", "Stacks", "Tower",
> > "Pyramid" Names of Tiles: "Default", "Classic", "Traditional", Alphabet",
> > "Imperial Jade"
> > Names of backgrounds: "Default", "Chinese Landscape", "Light Wood"
>
> Names of boards, tiles and backgrounds are translatable, exposed via
> .desktop files (see libkmahjongg source, these should be installed in
> kmahjongglib/tilesets /backgrounds) in your system.

You can easily test this on your system, even without an installed language
x-test, just run "KDE_LANG=x-test kmahjongg". Then the entry should be taken
from the line Name[x-test]=xxChinese Landscapexx from
kmahjongglib/backgrounds/chinese_landscape.desktop.

Do you see "xxChinese Landscapexx", I am pretty sure you won't.

That means, the message ist extracted and translatable, but not used at
runtime.

> > kmines:
> > In configuration dialog:
> > Names of Themes: "Default", "Classic", "Garden of Danger"
>
> Same here, for all games that use KGameTheme. The theme names can be
> translated via the .desktop files supplied with each theme.

Does not work for me, tested with fully translated german desktop file. Try
KDE_LANG=de kmines, do you see "Gärten der Gefahr" or "Gardens of Danger"?

Burkhard Lück