[Kde-games-devel] Fwd: Re: SVG Rendering speed

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 18:25:35 CEST 2007

Il Saturday 22 September 2007 16:25:54 Mauricio Piacentini ha scritto:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>
> That is indeed strange. I got the KDE4 Live CD. Games like KMahjongg are
> very snappy, including resizing, etc. And with no hardware acceleration.
> And this even while top shows kio_file using 50% of the available cpu.
> Again, running this on a VMWare host, 512MB of RAM devoted to it.
> However, keep in mind I am not actually READING from a real CD, but from
> an .iso image, which should probably make a huge difference when loading
> stuff like SVG files and the like.

For whatever is worth, I have tried switching my radeon to the EXA
acceleration architecture. This indeed helps. most of the games:

The animations in kpat and kgoldrunner become fluid enough, and even kshisen
becomes playable. The problem is that scrolling and general PC use gets more
sluggish overall. So it's a compromise not everyone could agree to do.

I think kpat and kgoldrunner issues are minor, affecting only startup and
accessory effects; but in kshisenso a long pause is added at each move, and
this is a problem. Maybe it's easy enough to fix the rendering. of the board;

There was an environment variable to check the show the areas Qt updates when
drawing a widget; who can remind it to me?

Luciano