[Kde-games-devel] Thoughts about the card deck dialog and card themes

Martin Heni kde at heni-online.de
Mon Sep 10 18:52:15 CEST 2007

> - The dialog itself looks a very crowded
I dont find it so bad. Especially if we remove the global stuff it clears up.

> - The selection of card backs independent of the card front is a bit
>   problematic, since decks may have different sizes, and the backs would
>   result stretched.
Yes and no. In principle I agree with you that it can induce problems.
However, I myself love to choose different backsides for the cards. I suppose
other people will do the same then. What about making a default "locking"
which locks front and backside in the dialog but allows to deselect it? That
is a deck defines its default backside.

> - What is the global deck feature for? If it is meant to set the card deck
>   for all the games, it is misplaced. A game dialog should not change
>   behaviour for other games.
Could go, I agree. I think the idea was that you do not have to change the
deck for each game. But I agree on your comment.

> I much prefer the Theme selector interface; it is simpler and cleaner. It
> also offers a way to fetch new themes from a server, which is a useful
> addition.
The theme selector does look nicer, indeed. But it would only work when
dropping the front/back side option. What about enhancing the card dialog, so
that it looks similar to the theme one but keeps the deck options as
described above? Remove the global things and add a bit cleaner layout?

> If it were not for the different desktop files, the theme dialog would
> already work. Is there a standard already for the card decks we have to
> use?
I think the games access the desktop files. LSkat does anyway. But nothing
which could not be changed realtively easily. Of course not knowing what non
kdegames do.

> Finally we have been talking about removing somne of the card decks.
> Personally, I would keep SVG only decks with the kdegames distribution, and
> keep the other decks as knewstuff downloads. And I would get rid of the
> card backs entirely:
I strongly disagree on this. Unless some of the carddecks are converted to SVG
I would like to keep them. In particular this is:
1. The Konqi deck.
2. An German deck (which probably means the xskat German one)
3. Standard

The others I can be persuaded to drop. However, I am not sure where the
benefit is. It is a feature that we have a lot of decks. Why drop it for
little reason? If someone wants the bitmap decks - why not? Maybe warn the
player that the quality will be reduced in the dialog?