[Kde-games-devel] Possible Improvements and remaining Bugs

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Oct 23 23:07:33 CEST 2007

A Dimarts 23 Octubre 2007, Fela Winkelmolen va escriure:
> Hallo all!!
Hi

> Today I did a quick walktrough of all games present in kdegames, so I'm
> reporting some problems I encountered that seems easy to fix.
> Don't take it as a critic, just as some things we could improve to make the
> games even cooler =)

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

> Bovo:
> * game view isn't centered

Agree having it centered would nice.

> KAtomic:
> * game view isn't centered
> * the padding of the game view seems to big to me, it don't leaves much
> space for the game

Errr, what do you want to center, it was designed to appear that way i would
say.

> KBackgammon:
> * turn and score information could be displayed in the status bar, in such
> way the information scroll area wouldn't be needed anymore. I think it
> would look nicer that way, but maybe other people feel differently
> * my personal opinion is that it is quite ugly, should we really ship it???

I've been a pusher to keep it in, because it almost actually works, but i
won't opposed if everyone wants it out.

> KBounce:
> * suffers from a Qt svg bug (1) so the background has a small border of
> random garbage.

Wonderful, Qt 4.3.2 and they still can get those small things right *sigh*

> * IMHO it would be simpler if, when the app starts, just clicking anywhere
> on the board starts a new game (instead of having to type Ctrl+N)

Agree.

> KMines:
> * changing a theme don't seem to empty the pixmap cache: you have to resize
> the window to make the new theme show up.

It seems to work here.

> Kolf:
> * repaints the whole scene when the ball bounces, making the game slow
>
> Konquest:
> * often repaints the whole scene when not needed
>
> KPat:
> * game view is not centered

Not sure i agree here in having it centered, it would seem more natural right
aligned.

> KSame:
> * game view is not centered

Not sure i agree here in having it centered, balls "fall" to the left so
actually having it left centered seems natural.

> KShinsen:
> * repaints the whole scene when elements get deleted
>
> KSudoku:
> * missing icons of the various game type
>
> KTuberling:
> * somehow it's slow when adding an item to the picture: if freezes for a
> second or so, not sure why
Because the pixmap gets converted to a qsvgitem, no trivial way to make it
faster

> KWin4:
> * slow animation (cpu heavy),
> * background is screwed (it seems to use some random piece of my desktop as
> background... I can provide a screenshot if needed).
Can't reproduce.

> LSkat:
> * same problems as KWin4
> * game view isn't centered

Agree with centering here.

> The end of turn icon used in some games (for example in klines) is ugly, it
> looks like a scaled pixmap
>

> I'm not sure what is allowed to change after the freeze (tomorrow!), most
> of these issues requires little changes that are unlikely to cause
> regression.

Tomorrow we enter "no new features, bufixes only, no new or changed message,
incomplete features are disabled" so i'd say all your comments apply.

> I think I can fix a lot of the things mentioned myself
> (although I don't know how fast as I'm quite busy with university), however
> I'm not sure I can just change the code or if I should send a patch to the
> maintainer of the app, I think straight forward changes can just be
> applied, but being new to KDE development I'm not sure what the usual
> practice is.

The nettiquete says, send to maintainer unless, it's really really trivial
(i'd say none of your changes apply here) or you've already contacted him in
the past and he said (no need to contact me for such small patches).

Albert