[Kde-games-devel] Bovo status

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 16 07:50:14 CEST 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:06 pm, Aron Boström wrote:
> I'm concerned over Bovo. I don't think I can get it in shape for 4.0, I
> fear ... *sigh*

Hey, Aron, don't despair!  Bovo is *already* in great shape ... :-)

In another thread Aron wrote:
> Btw, are there some freeze on svn right now, or can I fix this?

See http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Release_Roadmap
We have just gone into Beta 3.  You can fix bugs, just don't add any
new features ... :-)

Aron also wrote:
> These Issues, *should* be adressed, IMO. But I don't see how I will have
> time to address them for the moment.

Can you fix them before December (final release)?  Do you need some help?

> Painting bugs:
> * Background layer is painted stupidly and a background Image would fail
> instantly.
> * Background layer is surrounded by thin grey border and a large white rim,
> with a smaller game board, the white rim is painted beneath the grid,
> causing very odd effects.
I cannot see these either.  Frederik, Eugene and I cannot *all* be blind :-)

> * The gomoku grid is misspainted, causing the game pieces to be drawn off
> position close to the edges,
The theme is very playable, however.  Please do not delete it !!! :-(

> * The game grid should be centered

A blemish ... not a real bug.

> Artwork issues:
> * Scribble grid looks really odd sometimes
> * No background images, just plain background color
> * Artwork is amateur stuff,
> * Nothing is oxygene styled
> * No game icon

Well, I do not know if it is an Oxygen color or not, but the Japanese
Red background in Gomoku is great.  One of my neighbours is a
professional theatre-set designer who has won several awards and
he has painted his front door that color.  If it is good enough for him
(and the Japanese), it is good enough for us imo.

> Other issues:
> * The very hard and impossible difficulties are not implemented
Can leave them out.  "Ridiculously Easy" is hard enough for me :-)

> * i18n of the theme doesn't work

I presume you mean translation of theme names.  Not hard to fix,
but might need to bring Bovo into line with the *.desktop convention
KDE Games is using.

Cheers, Ian W.