[Kde-games-devel] KNetWalk

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Oct 8 16:43:22 CEST 2007

Johann Ollivier Lapeyre wrote:
> Of course not keeping the aspect ratio is the *worst* thing to do. And at
> Akademy, artists (aka Me and Eugene) said we really need crop than changing
> the aspect ratio or have a color/2d layer background.
>
> I'm joining a PNG which describe how we'd like to have the background
> cutted.

Yes, I agree that if there is the need to cut, them the method explained
in the PNG by Johann is what should be used.
However, Johann, look at the current Knetwalk, where two planes are
being used after Fela implemented this. Do you agree it looks better
than cutting? I am not saying this is possible to implement in all games
(KAtomic for example), but imo it looks quite good as it is now. Have
you seen it?

So imo we should have two possible solutions: one is to cut, and use the
method proposed in the aKademy and in the PNG shown by Johann. If the
game has special needs like KGoldrunner, then the author/artists can
work some special arrangement to make sure the aspect ratio is
preserved. This can either be multiple planes (like in KNetwalk right
now) or some grid arrangement like the one proposed by Luciano. The
choice of each one depends on the specifics of the game and the
importance of the border/playfield delimitation.

But I believe we all agree that it is important to preserve the aspect
ratio, right?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini