[Kde-games-devel] Meeting results and todo items

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Oct 3 08:17:17 CEST 2007

Thanks very much, Mauricio, for your summary, which is
excellent yet again.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 06:54 am, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> a) Documentation. All maintainers are expected to work on getting the
> documentation ready in the next two weeks.

Doco is in good shape for KGoldrunner, except for screenshots.
I have been holding back on those until artwork is finished, but I
am wondering when I should do them.  Some shots contain text
that would need translating.  Usually the translators set up the
screens and re-make the screenshots as required, IIRC.

> c) Game icons and action icons. We need to compile a list of the icons
> that are still missing for all games and libraries.

One that sticks out is the Hint icon, or lack of it.  Should be a light bulb
or something like that.  Could someone check if any other standard
game actions need icons?  (KStandardGameAction)

> e) Game maintainers and games to be released with 4.0. Not all games
> currently in kdegames are guaranteed to be part of the 4.0 and survive
> the beta/RC cycle. Specifically, games need to be active maintained in
> order to remain in the main SVN module. By actively maintained, we
> agreed that all items in the Game Status page need to be cleared in two
> to four weeks, including documentation and other todo items ...

How serious are you about the criteria in the Game Status page?  Should
*all* criteria apply to *all* games - else - into the bin?

KJumpingCube, for example, has no keyboard play, nor do I see how that
might work, without being extremely clunky.  Likewise, it has no Redo and
only a one-level Undo.  There can be cascading "automatic" moves after
you make a move, so the game just saves and restores the whole board,
giving a one-level Undo.

KGameDifficulty is not in KJC and I do not recall what it is exactly.  The way
is *almost* open for Themeable, but I just do not have time to work on it
until KDE 4.1.  Finally, for Multi-player and Network, somebody (not me) has
written "Yes and no".  What does *that* mean?  Is there work to do?

> Do you think it is in excellent shape, and ready to survive what could
> be maybe a 4-5 year release cycle, during the whole 4.x series, without
> heavy maintenance?

Yes, I think KJumpingCube is in excellent shape and ready to survive
what could be maybe a 4-5 year release cycle without heavy maintenance.
The question is whether I am ... I shall be 70 next year ... but I am not sick
or anything ... :-D :-D

All the best everybody, Ian W.