[Kde-games-devel] KGoldrunner themes

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 10:19:55 CET 2007

Il Tuesday 13 November 2007 06:20:56 Eugene Trounev ha scritto:

> As for
> the Kgoldrunner - For the default theme the only rela solution I see
> is to have a plain gray background with nothing there whatsoever.

Well, you are going to an extreme here -- as long as there are not too many
dark parts on the background, the theme should be fine. If loading time is so
important, maybe a sky with clouds may look good enough.

By the way, I'm not sure the theme stretching over the border is a good idea
in general. It clashes with the fade-in/out animation, that is limited to the
playfield for efficiency reasons.

Since I'm planning to add theming for the border area (and moving score/lives
information there, too), can we go back a playing-area background image only,
for KDE 4.0? This is a workaround for the stretching problem we have too,
since the playfield area always has fixed proportions.

> As
> for the bricks - I made them so screamingly bright
> on purpose (people complain all the time they are not too distinctive).
> Just give me some time to finishe with the docbooks and then I'll come back
> into graphism :P
>

> The loading themes
> are fine for me. But I'm not surprized Egypt takes so long to load -
> it's a VERY heavy theme. I put a lot of details into it.

I think the loading times Ian found have little to do with graphics
acceleration -- we are rendering to QImage, so the Qt software methods are
always used. I'd like to see how painting to QPixmaps directly would work,
but, later...

By the way: I'm the only one that sees KGoldrunner crash on startup?

I think the problem is with the code to workaround the double-paint on
startup. I've used valgrind to find out what was going on and I've found a
NULL m_tileset pointer being dereferenced.

always calling drawTheIDontRememberWhat() during startup makes the game start,
but with the ugly resize. I'll look again this evening for a different
solution, if Ian does not beat me to it. Maybe it's possible to find out
earlier the required window size.

Luciano