[Kde-games-devel] Kapman conception : need advices !

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 7 10:54:52 CET 2007

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 05:26 am, Fela Winkelmolen wrote:
> Is there any particular reason Item objects may be associated with no Cell?
> Also note that Characters can be in between cells, not sure how you want to
> handle that, but having a character always associated with one Cell may not
> be the best approach.

I agree.  The current KGoldrunner architecture has such a weakness and
it has caused me endless complications.  The important things imo are:

    a) Centre Characters on their direction of motion within a cell,
        especially when changing direction.  So if a Character moves
        to the right and then down, he must continue moving right, even
        as he starts to move down, until he is in the middle of the
        downward path.
    b) Allow collisions of Ghosts and Kapman anywhere, independently
        of cells.
    c) Specify where in a cell a Character must be when collecting an Item.
    d) Have some protocols for Ghosts entering a cell from different
        directions and for following each other (like a train), otherwise you
        can get deadlocks and traffic jams.  For example, if two Ghosts
        approach a T-intersection from left and right simultaneously, one
        must enter the intersection and make his turn before the other
        does.  If not, you can get a head-on collision and deadlock ...
        but OTOH Ghosts are immaterial, so maybe several can occupy
        the same space and the problem does not arise ... :-)

Otherwise, Characters should NOT be associated with cells directly imo.

Bonne chance, Ian W.
KGoldrunner author.