[Kde-games-devel] Revived KJumpingCube

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 25 03:48:48 CEST 2007

Hi everybody, especially Johann,

During the last few days I have been working to revive KJumpingCube
in KDE/playground.  It now works well and IMHO should be accepted
back into trunk before 1 June.  Specifically, the changes are:

- Use Oxygen colors for Player 1, Player 2 and neutral (brickred4,
   blue3 and woodbrown2).
- Give the cubes a 3D look, using QFrame features.
- Pack the cubes back close together.
- Revive the Hint item on the toolbar.
- Make blinking work properly, both for hints and computer moves.
- Fix a long-standing problem where the computer blinked and
   moved simultaneously (VERY confusing, especially in the later
   stages of play).  It now finishes blinking before starting its move.
- Fix up the status bar widgets.

It is not SVG, but I have added a pics/default.svg file for your
interest.  IMO cubes with rounded edges do not look decidedly
better than the ones with chamfered edges produced by QFrame,
when you reduce them to small scale.  However I think it would
be worth using the SVG 3D "pip" element for the dice pips, instead
of just 2D black circles.  Pips on dice are usually hollowed out.

As before, I do not see that there is much scope for themeing
in this game.  The elements are just rather simple.

Hoping we can rescue KJumpingCube for KDE 4.0, Ian W.