[Kde-games-devel] GGZ / KDE games multiplayer

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun May 20 22:32:39 CEST 2007

A Diumenge 20 Maig 2007, Andreas Røsdal va escriure:
> Hello!

Hi! My message is from information heard so it may well be wrong :D

> I'm interested in knowing what the developers of KDE games think about
> adding multiplayer support using GGZ Gaming Zone.

We (Josef) are slowly working on it.

> As one of the gnome-games maintainers, we have recently added GGZ
> support to gnome-games. The games Iagno, Nibbles
> and Gnect have multiplayer support provided by GGZ. For more
> information, see here:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGames/Multiplayer
>
> I noticed that Josef sent a message proposing GGZ for KDE earlier:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-games-devel&m=117187709409951

Yeah, there's some code in KDE 4
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdegames/libkdegames/kggznet/
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdegames/libkdegames/kggzmod/
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdegames/libkdegames/kggzgames/

> Iagno, Nibbles and Gnect have similar KDE games:   KReversi,  Ksnakerace
> and kWin4.  I think that it would be fun to have
> these games being network compatible with the GNOME ones. That could be
> possible if the KDE games were written as
> GGZ clients which use the same GGZ servers as gnome-games.

As far as i know KReversi is already using ggz in some way.

> Iagno/KReversi and kWin4/Gnect have identical game rules,
> while Nibbles/Ksnakerace have different maps (so it will take more
> effort to make these games network compatible).

KSnakeRace has been killed for KDE 4 due to low quality and no mantainer
available.

> Anyway, I hope that you consider using GGZ. Making the games network
> compatible would also be cool.

Yeah, but that'll probably have to wait for KDE 4.1. Our release schedule for
KDE 4.0 sets "1 June 2007" as Feature Freeze date so not sure we can do that
for KDE 4.0

Albert