[Kde-games-devel] Klickety in KDE4

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Tue May 15 15:55:14 CEST 2007

Ian Wadham wrote:
> I agree with Johann for the more general case.  We do not want to
> bury the selection of KSame style, Klickety style or any other style in
> a "Configure KSame" dialog.  Maybe KSame source could just generate
> two executables, called klickety and ksame (?).

I believe having a single executable is better in the long term, as the
differences in gameplay are small. How about this idea: add the number
of colors and board dimensions as part of the theme .desktop file. So if
the user selects the KSame theme, a game will be started with KSame
rules and colors. Selecting the Klickety theme will change the board
dimensions and number of colors accordingly as well. Other theme authors
could create additional themes, with different number of colors and
board sizes. This way the user only selects one option, and the game is
adjusted accordingly.
As the cherry in the cake for packagers that want to upgrade existing
KDE3 desktop menus, the executable could support a command line option
that lets it get started by default in KSame or Klickety mode.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini