[Kde-games-devel] QGraphicsScene performance

Fela Winkelmolen nimatar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 14:01:22 CEST 2007

> Congratulations on such an elegant demo, Fela.  I don't think you
> could be doing anything "wrong" in your code re use of QGV.  It is
> so simple and minimal ...  Nice work!

thanks! =)

> Direct use of QPainter is an option and it should always be faster than
> QGV or KGameCanvas, but you would have to do your own house-
> keeping, which could be rather complicated if your Breakout game gets
> to be anything like the video of BreakQuest at nurium.com, and I hope
> it will ... :-)

Well, i didn't really plan to use QPainter directly, mine was more an
intellectual question... =)
BreakQuest looks really cool! But I didn't really had something _that_ fancy
in mind, I will be quite happy already once I have something like DXBall
(it's for windows but works under wine). However I will try to keep as much
as possible extensibility in mind, there where the price isn't to high.

> In the case of KGoldrunner, KGameCanvas has acceptable (actually
> undetectable) overheads, but QGV does not.  Other games find QGV
> performance acceptable.  For KBreakOut you must make the choice.
>
> If you encapsulate sprites, etc. in their own classes, as Mauricio did
> in KGoldrunner, it should be easier later if you must change your mind.

The best choice at this point seems KGameCanvas to me, and I think I will just
use that. After this discussion I've also become convinced it's best to
separate the game engine from the graphic part, may I ever want to change the
latter.
bye,
- Fela
--
Hello! I'm a signature virus. Copy me to your signature, ^^ pleeeeease!!!!!!