[Kde-games-devel] QGraphicsScene performance

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 29 08:36:31 CEST 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:26 am, Jeremy Wick wrote:
> It makes me a bit sad when people said they have a port of a game that
> could run on antique computers but face performance issues today.

I once headed a software project in which a computer of about 0.8MHz
and 0.192Mb of RAM handled 300 online terminals and 40 transactions
per second for over an hour, at peak time.  Now I have a machine 2000
times faster and with more than 1000 times as much RAM, that has had
exactly the troubles you describe.

You have heard of Grosch's Law and Moore's Law ... well I call this
the law of Software Obesity.  It is an extension of Parkinson's Law
of business (work expands to fill the time available for its completion).
In this case, software expands to fill the memory and CPU power
available.  I know, my machine is doing a lot of heavy graphics, but
it only starts to sweat computationally if I run XaoS fractal zoomer
on auto (zooming into the infinite recesses of the Mandelbrot set).

Dinosaurially yours, Ian W. :-)