[Kde-games-devel] KScoreDialog usability related question

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 12 19:54:39 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 12 June 2007, Dmitry Suzdalev wrote:
> Personally I'd like it not to be shown automatically, but rather there
> should be some kind of "You have a new highscore" message somewhere in the
> game. And if the user wants to see his/her highscore he should do it
> explicitly by invoking "View Highscores" action. But the question about
> when and how he/she should enter the name remains.

using the same widget that dolphin or amarok uses to show such information at
the bottom of the window would be perfect, imho. it's visible, obvious,
non-intrusive and goes away eventually on its own.

as for asking for the name, i'd say just default to the user's login (that's
trivial to get via:

KUser user;
QString name = user.fullName();

if (name.isEmpty()) {
     name = user.loginName();
}

voila, a default name. offer a menu item to change the name (or via the high
score dialog itself? you could ask at the start of the game as Burkhard
suggests, but that seems like an annoyance for something that the vast
majority of people would just click through as it would have the right info
anyways and the rest wouldn't likely care about ...

the only thing that the user probably really needs to confirm / interact with
is whether or not to publish their high scores on a centralized service (if
supported by the game at all)

> Well, perhaps it is only me, who is slightly annoyed by KScoreDialog
> popups :).

nope =) you are bang on.

--
Aaron J. Seigo