[Kde-games-devel] kbattleship and welcome screen

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 12 19:49:23 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 12 June 2007, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> Johann Ollivier Lapeyre
>
> > (i am a little bit under the ksoduku welcome screen idea) :D And add
> > nice icons to it. I really prefer to get a ksudoku's style welcome
> > screen on
> > every game than a kbattleship one on 1-2 because it is hard to do.
>
> I like the ksudoku welcome screen idea as well, seems much easier than

from a usability perspective, let me assure you that the ksudoku screen is
clearly sub-optimal.

it is very complete in that it offers all the possibilities in one glance, but
it does not reflect a natural flow and is very complex. remember that the
point of games such as these is to quickly fire up an amusement, get rewarded
with a sugar candy toy and then get on with playing.

if one was to actually look at the usual play flow of someone playing sudoku,
you'd likely find that they'd want to just play a regular 9x9 grid. instead,
ksudoku gets sidetracked into exposing all the potential of the game. but
people don't care about the full potential; they just want to play. those who
*do* care can explore the menus; this is where the welcome screen shines as
well: it can provide quick clicks to the common features and a way to go to
the more advanced stuff.

someone mentioned that there is visual similarity to flash games; to which i'd
say: great. ever notice how insanely popular those things are and how much
people like playing them? there are profitable companies who have them as
their primary offering. =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se